Sunday 27 April 2014

Thoughts and learning points



- I have learned so much just by observing these teachers in action. Too rarely we have that chance in Finland. Always in a hurry - or so goes my excuse (which is one other thing I have learned a thing or two about from these peolpe and this lifestyle..) Colleques are great teachers for teachers and learning while sitting seemingly passive in the back of the class instead of being on the lead your self is priceless! As an example of this, here is a pic of Mr Timothy and the pre schoolers practising vocals and numbers 1-3. There was nothing I could add (as teaching by doing/playing and student participation, using nature materials, body, movements ans singing), the way he was teaching was already all of those things. I wish I had seen this before i began to teach those same things to my own first graders!
- We got a chance to join the student parlament meeting. The participants are voted democratiaclly by their fellow students. In Finland we have a similar thing, our student committee, but this was taken many steps further! They have the prime minister, minister of defence, enviroment minister etc. The students can turn to these representatives if they have a problem, or an improvement in mind. The ministers had prepared notes from which they addressed the parlament on important issues, such as safety of the road to school (the minister of defence answared that one), more trees (minister of environment), safe drinking water for students, school library, student seaving school too early etc. Everyone spoke respectively and we got a feeling, that this is truly student's voice and active participation to their own life at school. Hope we can take this to Tampere and develope our students committee to this direction. Meanwhile they learn important ways of democratic influence making and giving speeches.
- The teachers in all schools we have visited, are willing to develop their teaching, open to new ideas and methods. I must confess, that sometimes I feel my concience pointing out, that I too have become too accustomed to my own ways and the practices I've always known and easily find my self resisting change before first trying to thing it through "from clear table".. It has been quite often in here, that I have found myself wondering my own habits and narrow paths of thinking. Here, I am forced to think again, with the lack of supplys (so plenty in Finland) and big class sizes up to 140 students (I have considered my 26 students a huge class, barely handlable!) and I must say it is a healthy thing, forcing me to learn things I never expected to learn. Attitudewice, methodwice etc... Hope I'll be able to give these people even a fracture of what I myself am getting from this experience!
 Text and pictures: Ira Sipponen

No comments:

Post a Comment